I started knitting a wombat (what else?) from The World of Knitted Toys by Kath Dalmeny. I'm using Red Heart acrylic yarn in "Gem," a brightly-colored variegated yarn that was given to me. I have most of the body knitted so far, but I've gotten to the head and it involves a lot of counting and baby + counting stitches = a mess, so it will have to wait a little bit. But here it is so far (well, I've knitted a bit more than this, but it doesn't really look much different):
Okay here it is on March 17. The body is finished and just needs to be stitched and stuffed. Then I need to make a nose, ears, legs and tail, then stuff and attach them. The rest of it should be much easier and go much faster than the body. I did have one nearly-major meltdown today. I accidently knitted on a purl row and it was really a bummer pulling the stitches out. I had no idea how to do it without pulling the whole damn thing apart. Obviously, I figured it out. It's about ten inches long, by the way, if you flatten out the curve of the head.
The pieces of the wombat are all knitted. I need to sew and stuff and assemble it and then it will be very funky!
Wombat update, 4/12/02: the latest is that I'm giving the wombat away. Someone else will be stitching and stuffing and keeping it! Hopefully I will have photos, though.